Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas is coming....

Well...Christmas is coming....being a non-Christian, it is going to be special this time around. Why? well for 1 reason, my wife is a catholic and it is going to be our daughter's first Xmas with us and her extended family.

My memories of Xmas are filled with times enjoying food prepared by friends celebrating the auspicious day in December. Now i will be learning to celebrate it with my daughter. My in-laws live in Melaka and there, the celebrations are quite happening.

I’m referring to Portuguese Settlement in Melaka. The Portuguese Settlement in Melaka is a preserved land for descendents of Portuguese, situated along the coast, and accessing from Ujong Pasir. This is where my in-laws live. Its actually 10 to 15 minutes walking distance to the settlement.

Every year, when Christmas is around the corner, residents in Portuguese Settlement will spend some efforts and loads of money decorating their houses and streets, to create Christmas ambiance within the square. At this time traffic is horrendous, you can hardly drive around there.

This is a far cry from KL City....even Chinese New Year or Hari Raya even Deepavali is celebrated without much fanfare these days.

I don't mean to envy our neighbors, but Singapore's Orchard Road is a sight to behold when we go down the street during Xmas.

Anyways....i'm preparing to get ready for Xmas with Juliette and get as much pictures as possible to keep a record of her as she grows up.

I know my wife will prolly scream at me for not PRINTING any but taking more and more pictures...hehehe i better develop a few soon before the Home Minister arrives on our Malaysian shores this week hahahahahah !

J

1 comment:

BaBy_oN_BoArd said...

Hohoho... Santa Claus visited ur blog... Merry x'mas